You’re an institution in your community.

Your store is brimming with fresh produce from local providers, and you keep your counters shiny. Whether you’re selling poultry or plaice, you serve your customers with pride. You value the work you do – and so do your customers. And because of that, it’s important to protect it.

That’s where AXA’s business insurance for butchers and fishmongers can help you.

What insurance does a butcher or fishmonger need?

Every customer who comes into your shop is your responsibility. That’s why public liability insurance is a worthwhile investment, because it’ll protect you against third party injury and damage. If you have staff, employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement – in case any staff are injured or fall ill as a result of working for you.

What does business insurance for a butcher or fishmonger cover?

Well, what do you need it to? With AXA’s buildable business insurance, you can select the best cut of insurance for you – and trim it to fit your needs.

How much does it cost?

Every business is unique, it can be difficult to put a one-size-fits-all price on how much it’ll cost for you. The quickest way to get your price is to get a quote online – and, if you’re satisfied, you’ll get a 10%* discount for buying through our website.

Are my retail premises covered? What about my stock?

With our product liability cover (included when you buy public liability insurance) you’ll be protected for damage or injury caused because of food products or packaging you supply, delivery or provide.

AXA’s contents insurance can help. With our goods in transit add-on, we’ll be able to help protect your stock in case it is damaged, lost or stolen once you’re out on the road for deliveries. You can choose this option whether you manage your own deliveries or use a third party provider.

Does this kind of insurance cover spoilage of products?

We know you work hard to keep things ticking over as best you can. But if your stock is damaged due to the breakdown of a fridge or freezer, we have a range of additional extras to protect you. All you need to do is choose the relevant addition to your contents insurance.

I use a van to transport goods – can I cover this?

Yes. With contents insurance, you can protect your goods in transit, safeguarding your deliveries of BBQ packs or steak boxes, Friday fish or seafood for supper. Depending on the option you choose, this can cover your stock whether you deliver with your own van or through a third party provider.

Remember, you can also choose AXA’s customisable van insurance if you’d like to keep your insurance with the same provider.

Our public liability insurance also covers any products you sell, protecting against possible damage caused as a result of the goods you supply, provide or deliver including containers, packaging, labelling, instructions or advice in connection with the product in the course of the business.


What cover can I choose from?

Select from the covers below and choose the package that fits your business.

Public liability insurance

Protect your business against third party damage and injury with AXA’s public liability insurance.

Find out more about public liability insurance

Contents cover

Keep your equipment, shop fittings and stock safe with AXA’s contents insurance.

Find out more about contents insurance

Employers’ liability insurance

Protect staff and volunteers in case of injury with AXA’s employers’ liability insurance.

Find out more about employers liability insurance

Van insurance

Use a van to get around? Stay safe on the road with AXA’s van insurance.

Find out more about van insurance

Our customers say...

Average rating:
Based on
5 star ratings
4 star ratings
3 star ratings
2 star ratings
1 star ratings

Our customers’ reviews, independently moderated and managed by feefo. Based on 0 total reviews.



*This discount is applied automatically and lasts for the lifetime of your policy.