Contract works insurance

What is contract works insurance?

Building a new house or extending a property? If the new structure you're working on is destroyed or damaged before the job is completed, you could lose the work and materials you’ve already paid for.

Contract works cover will protect you against accidental loss, destruction or damage – offering cover for materials and labour that you’ve used, meaning you can restore the project to its status before the damage – protecting you and your customer from financial loss.

Whether the damage occurs as you’re laying the foundations or happens right before you’ve got the property water-tight, this will help you get the property repaired to back to the point you were at before the accident.

What does contract works insurance cover?

It’s a specific add-on to business insurance for construction workers and as such, is only relevant to occupations who’d typically work on-sites: builders, groundsworker and tradesmen.

Check your contracts to see who is responsible for the work. If so, this could be an important cover for you to keep your business safe and prevent unnecessary financial loss in the future.

How much does contract works insurance cost?

The price of the insurance you need is dependent on all sorts of factors – from the scale of the project you’re working on, to the type of work you’re carrying out.

The easiest way to get your price? Get a quote online. Tell us a little bit about your business and the kind of construction work you carry out. It’ll only take a few minutes, and we’ll be able to let you know what you need.

What does contract works insurance not cover?

As a specific kind of construction insurance, it only adds to construction-related insurance policies. It won’t cover existing constructions on the site, or damage caused by uninsured risks.

It doesn’t cover third party damage or injury like public liability, and it won’t offer any sort of protection to your staff like employers’ liability insurance would.

Can I insure my equipment?

Yes, you can protect your tools and equipment with AXA’s business insurance.

We offer two kinds of tools insurance at AXA to help you protect what you’re working with:

Own plant tools and equipment cover

We’ll cover you for accidental loss, theft or damage to your own tools, plant and equipment – including your work tools, as well as any machinery, trailers, site huts or caravans owned by you.

Hired-in plant equipment cover

We can also cover equipment you’ve hired to use in connection with your business, like constructional plant, machinery, tools or site huts, in case they’re accidentally damaged or destroyed whilst in your care.


What other types of insurance can protect my business?

Choose from the covers below and build insurance to fit your project.

Public liability insurance

Protection against third-party injury and damage with public liability insurance.

Find out more about public liability insurance

Employers’ liability insurance

Have staff, apprentices or volunteers who work for you? You’re legally obliged to have this protection. We’ll give you £10 million as standard.

Find out more about employers liability insurance

Our customers say...

Average rating:
Based on
5 star ratings
4 star ratings
3 star ratings
2 star ratings
1 star ratings

Our customers’ reviews, independently moderated and managed by feefo. Based on 0 total reviews.