* Offer ends 17/11/19. T&Cs apply. Offers apply to first year only. The code consecutively applies at 11.11% discount to the 10% discount you get for buying online, which is a 20% discount overall. Minimum premium applies.

What is landlord insurance?

Landlord insurance is a combination of different covers designed to protect a landlord. It is sometimes also known as buy-to-let insurance. Landlord insurance is important for anyone renting out their property. Even with the best tenants, things can still go wrong and landlord insurance is there to protect you from accidental damage to loss of rental income.

As standard, you’ll get trusted protection for your residential property investment. And to make sure you get the right landlord insurance, you can tailor your policy to meet your needs by choosing a range of optional extras.

What does landlord insurance cover?

Landlord insurance should always include buildings insurance, which covers damage to the structure and the cost of any repairs that may come about. Contents cover is another important part of any policy. This protects against the cost of replacing any fixtures or fittings that may be damaged during the tenancy. Other things potentially covered by landlord insurance could be liability protection in the event that a visitor to the property is injured.

Do you need landlord insurance?

If you let your property to tenants (whether you’re a buy-to-let landlord or an accidental landlord renting out a house you can’t afford to sell) you may need more than just home insurance.

While you’re not legally required to have landlord insurance, there are risks associated with a rented property that won’t be covered under a home insurance policy. And without the right cover, unexpected events could leave you seriously out of pocket.

So whether you let a small flat or a large house, we’ve got you covered. It’s the protection you’d expect from AXA – for less.

How much does landlord insurance cost?

Generally, the cost of a policy depends on whether you are insuring a house or a flat and whether it is furnished. If you rent your property to students you may have higher charges, or not receive cover by certain landlord policies at all, than if you rent to a professional couple or a family. Choose a policy which you can tailor to your needs with a range of optional extras and you can save money in the long term.

What's included with AXA Landlord Insurance?

With AXA Landlord Insurance, you get the core protection you need (including buildings insurance and property owners’ liability) as standard. And to make sure you get landlord insurance that suits your requirements, you can tailor your cover with a range of optional extras.

Policy benefits

As standard, you'll get:

  • Property owners’ liability cover (up to £10 million) – protects you against third-party claims – for example, if someone injures themselves on your property
  • Buildings insurance – covers the cost of repairing or rebuilding your property if it’s accidentally damaged or destroyed
  • Cover for up to 10 properties in one policy – add up to 10 properties when you get a quote online
  • Cover to re-house your tenants in alternative accommodation – if your property can’t be accessed or lived in due to damage, and your tenants don’t already have this cover under their own insurance, we’ll look to re-house them in the event of a valid claim
  • Cables and underground pipes cover – we’ll pay you for the costs incurred following damage to pipes or cables, including essential utilities such as electricity, gas and water
  • Subsidence, ground heave and landslip cover – land shifts under your property can cause considerable structural damage, but with this cover (which is a requirement of some mortgages), we’ve got you covered
Get landlord insurance from just £120 a year**

Being a good landlord is about more than collecting the rent. It’s about protecting your investment too. That’s why if you’re a landlord, it pays to get protected from day one with AXA.

Protect your property - and investment - with AXA

Add any of the following cover options when you get a quote:

soiled sofa

Accidental damage cover

Protects your property's structure, floors and fittings, so it’ll not only protect you if your tenant accidentally spills wine on your carpet, but also against things like water entering into your property if your roof leaks unexpectedly.

pound coins

Loss of rental income

Many landlords rely on their rental income to make mortgage payments and cover costs, so if your property can't be lived in as a result of fire, flooding or major damage, you'll be able to claim back loss of rent.


Contents cover

Get up to £75,000 contents cover to protect any furnishings and appliances that belong to you – like, beds, televisions and white goods.

man and woman

Employers' liability insurance

If you employ someone to work on your property (like a gardener or a handyman) you’re required by law to have employers' liability cover, which protects you against compensation claims for injury, illness or disease.

Buy-to-let insurance

If you’re a buy-to-let landlord, you’ll need more than just home insurance to protect your property.

Commercial landlord insurance

Whether you rent out offices, shops, warehouses or surgeries, we’ve got you covered with our commercial landlord insurance.

Is AXA Landlord Insurance right for you?

Not everything can always be done online

Most landlords can get a quote quickly and easily online. And in a matter of minutes, you can get up to £10m property owners’ liability cover and protection for up to 10 properties.

But for some landlords with more complex needs, for example with a mixed portfolio of commercial and residential properties, we may need to speak to you to make sure you’re properly protected.

We won’t be able to cover you online if you want to insure:

  • More than 10 properties
  • A block of flats
  • A mixed portfolio of commercial and residential properties
  • A property outside Great Britain (England, Scotland or Wales)

If you do, we’ll need to get some more details from you to make sure we can give you a quote that meets your needs. You can call us now on 0330 159 1522

Looking for insurance for your commercial property instead? Visit our commercial landlord insurance page.

About us

At AXA Business Insurance, we give you the protection you need to grow your business, which is reflected in our Feefo customer service score of 4.6 out of 5 based on 8016 reviews as of 28 February 2019. We offer business insurance online to sole traders, self-employed people and small and medium-sized businesses, as well as landlord and van insurance – for business or personal use.

** 10% of our customers paid this for landlord insurance, typically for one property, between April and June 2019.

We're open Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm, Saturday, 9am to 2pm. Calls are charged at local rate. Calls may be recorded and monitored.

Terms, conditions, eligibility and exclusions apply. Underwritten by AXA Insurance UK plc.

Policy documents

Make sure you have all the information you need before taking out a landlord insurance policy.

Why choose us?

There are lots of reasons to choose AXA Landlord Insurance. Here’s eight for starters.