Photography insurance

AXA business insurance for photographers

From weddings and family portraits, product shots to editorial/publications work, you take pride in capturing the perfect moment. And every type of photography business calls for a different set of skills and specialist equipment. You’re doing what you love, and that’s something worth protecting.

That’s why as a photographer, you need cover that meets your unique needs.

AXA’s flexible business insurance for photographers lets you tailor your cover to suit your unique business.

Why do I need insurance for my photography business?

Photography is a creative pursuit. You’ll often work with expensive equipment, and carry out work in unusual or busy locations. If someone trips over a wire or you accidently damage their property while on a shoot, your business could be liable.

Our public liability insurance would cover the costs of a claim made against your business, saving you from a pay-out that you might not be able to afford.

With AXA’s business insurance for photographers to protect you and your gear, you can click with confidence.

Do you cover cameras and photography equipment?

Yes – your state-of-the-art cameras, high spec lighting and laptop can all be insured. You can choose various levels of cover up to £10,000, and you can insure single or multiple items. There’s an excess of 10% of the claims amount (minimum £100, maximum £500).

Depending on the type of insurance you choose, your equipment will be covered both in your studio and on location – though it’s worth remembering that theft from an unsecured vehicle or trailer won’t be.

What isn’t covered with AXA’s photography insurance?

You’ll be covered for just about every professional situation. There are a few exceptions:

  • Aerial photography, including drones
  • Underwater photography
  • Hazardous locations
  • Claims arising from lost or poor-quality photographs

With AXA’s professional indemnity insurance, you can add cover for data protection and copyright breaches, as well as defamation and loss of documents.

Do photographers need insurance for events?

Yes. If someone trips over your equipment or you damage the property at which the event is taking place, you could face an expensive claim against you for damages or legal costs. Plus, you may want to insure your own equipment in case of any accidents.

Can I buy public liability insurance on its own?

Yes. If you only want to buy public liability insurance, you can choose to do so when you get a quote. AXA’s public liability cover starts at just £63* a year.

How much public liability insurance does a photographer need?

It depends on your business. However, if you choose our public liability package, you’ll get up to £5 million cover for compensation claims, up to £1 million cover for legal costs and up to £250 a day for court attendance costs.

How much is photographer’s insurance?

The cost of your insurance will depend on the types and levels of cover you choose, and the size and location of your business.

Our flexible, made-to-fit cover means you only pay for the bits you need, not the bits you don’t.



What cover might I need for my photography business?

With business insurance, you can select from the covers below to protect you. Build your own unique bundle of insurance, depending on your specific needs, and only pay for what you want:

Public liability insurance

You’re responsible for the welfare of every customer or visitor. Public liability keeps you covered for up to £5 million if a member of the public is injured or their property gets damaged while dealing with your business.

Find out more about public liability insurance

Employers’ liability insurance

If you have employees, contractors, casual workers or temporary staff, it’s a legal requirement for you to take out employers’ liability insurance. It covers you for up to £10 million for any claims from staff may become unwell or suffer an injury as a result of working for you.

Find out more about employers liability insurance

Professional indemnity

Given advice that causes financial loss to your clients and results in a claim? Cover legal fees and compensation payments with professional indemnity insurance. With optional add-ons, you can also protect your business in case of breach of confidentiality, loss of documents or dishonesty of your employees.

Find out more

Contents cover

Contents cover up to £250,000 can help you replace the contents of your studio, like fixtures and fittings, camera equipment, and employees’ personal belongings, if they’re damaged, lost or stolen. Contents cover also protects your cash, whether it’s at your premises, your home, or on the way to the bank.

Find out more

Van insurance

If you use a van to get to shoots, you could be lost without it. Make sure you stay on the road with cover that includes: doorstep repairs, a guaranteed courtesy van and your choice of optional extras.

Find out more about van insurance

Our customers say...

Average rating:
Based on
5 star ratings
4 star ratings
3 star ratings
2 star ratings
1 star ratings

Our customers’ reviews, independently moderated and managed by feefo. Based on 0 total reviews.



*10% of our customers paid this or less between January and March 2024.