What is contents insurance?

Contents insurance is just one of two home insurance options available to homeowners - the other being buildings insurance.

You might want to think about covering the contents of your home, particularly if you rent your house. But let’s have a think about what contents insurance actually is, because it could help you decide if you need it. You could think of it as everything you can remove from your home, so that’s why it’s especially useful for renters.

AXA’s contents insurance will cover your belongings against loss, damage, or theft. It’s useful because it protects your things from damage and loss caused by a wide range of unforeseen events like, storms, floods, fires, and theft. Typically, it covers things like furniture, clothing, electrical items, money, and jewellery. But not all policies cover your contents against accidental damage, so it’s always a good idea to check your policy to make sure it includes the cover level you need. Accidental damage actually makes up over one in three of our claims. That’s pretty high. So it might be worth considering.

Check out our video if you want to know more about accidental damage. Accidental damage cover is included as standard in AXA’s HomeSafe insurance.

Why choose AXA's contents insurance

We get that your belongings are more than just stuff. That’s why we’ve created home insurance products that really fit your needs – whatever they might be. We’ve built three contents insurance options to fit your stage of life. So you can rest easy knowing your contents are covered against the unexpected whether you chose HomeSmart, HomeSafe, or HomeSure. And because our HomeSmart and HomeSure insurance is flexible, you can tailor them to your needs by adding extras, which are included as standard in HomeSafe. Simple.

What’s covered with AXA contents insurance?

Whether you’re welcoming a new addition, moving into your first place, or watching the kids fly the nest, AXA covers your contents against the unexpected. Because we get that your needs will change at each stage of your life. So whether you’ve got a new nursery, or you want to protect your life-long valuables, we’ve got contents cover to suit your needs.

AXA contents insurance covers you against the unexpected:

Cover item HomeSmart HomeSure HomeSafe
Maximum sum insured £75,000 £85,000 £100,000
Total valuables £20,000 £25,000 £30,000
Single valuable limit £5,000 £10,000 £15,000
New for old replacements included included included
Repairs guaranteed (1 year) included included included
Emergency cash advance included included included
Accidental damage (Contents) Optional Optional included
Alternative accommodation £20,000 £20,000 £25,000
Personal possessions Optional Optional £2,5001
Home emergency cover Optional - up to £1,000 Optional - up to £1,000 £1,500
Money £500 £1,000 £1,000
Credit cards £1,000 £2,000 £2,000
Frozen food £500 £1,000 £1,000
Business equipment £5,000 £7,500 £7,500
Contents in outbuildings £2,500 £5,000 £5,000
Contents in garden (including plants) £2,500 £2,500 £5,000
Visitor effects £500 £1,000 £1,000
Special events increase £7,500 £7,500 £10,000
Replacement keys & locks £500 £1,000 £1,000
Digital assets £500 £500 £500
Documents £500 £500 £500
Legal expenses Optional - up to £50,000 Optional - up to £50,000 £100,000
Liability to domestic staff £10,000,000 £10,000,000 £10,000,000
Tenants liability £12,000 £12,000 £12,000
Occupiers and Public liability £2,000,000 £2,000,000 £2,000,000
Get a quote Get a quote for AXA home insurance
Get a quote for AXA home insurance
Get a quote for AXA home insurance

1 With increased protection available as a cover option

How much contents insurance do I need?

The amount of contents insurance you’re likely to need will depend on the amount you’d need back to replace the item. The 'sum insured' is the maximum amount your contents insurance policy will pay out if your item is destroyed. So it’s important to get that figure right.

When you’re deciding on how much contents insurance you’ll need you might want to walk through each of your rooms and make an inventory of each of your belongings. Remember contents insurance covers things in your shed and your loft or garage too – so don’t forget to include those things as well. This should help you to work out what insurance product will meet your needs best.

Will I need to add some extras?

We include some of our optional extras as standard with our HomeSure and HomeSafe policies, so it’s best to check what’s included when you get your quote. If you feel like you’re missing some cover that you’re likely to need you have the option to add it as an extra, either when you’re getting your quote, or at any time throughout your policy. In fact, you can add extras, and make a range of changes easily, by logging in to your AXA online account.

With AXA's contents insurance there are six optional extras you can choose from:


Accidental damage

Accidental damage cover will protect your contents against, well, accidental damage. Like accidental spillages on your furniture and accidental damage caused by children in those oops moments. This comes as standard with HomeSafe policies.

Find out more about AXA accidental damage cover

Personal possessions

Adding AXA's personal possessions cover to your policy will extend your contents insurance cover to anywhere in the world. Protect your phone, tablet, laptop and other personal possessions when you're outside the home, up to a total value of £2,500 - giving you that added reassurance. Make sure to choose the right amount of cover for your needs.

Find out more about AXA personal possessions cover
legal services

Legal expenses can be costly - protect your family with up to £50,000 legal expenses assistance available for our panel of solicitors to help claim compensation for you. This comes as standard with HomeSafe with a higher limit of £100,000.

Find out more about AXA legal expenses cover

Home assistance

Life can throw unexpected curveballs; a broken-down boiler, a burst pipe or a clogged drain - costly inconveniences. Including home emergency cover with your contents insurance allows you to call our home assistance helpline in an emergency at any time of the day and we'll arrange for a contractor from our approved repairer network to attend to the issue as soon as possible. We provide cover up to £1,000 for call-out, labour, parts and materials for HomeSmart and HomeSure policies, and up to £1,500 for HomeSafe.

Find out more about AXA home assistance

Bicycle cover

Bikes are not covered by home insurance, but we know how important they can be to some people. Bicycle cover with contents insurance reassures you with up to £3,000 total cover for all of your bikes at home and everywhere they go, up to £1,500 per bicycle.

Find out more about AXA bicycle cover
graduate hat mortar board

Student cover

When the kids have flown the nest, you can cover the contents within their accommodation for up to £5,000 against theft, fire, floods and more while they're at boarding school, college or university

Find out more about AXA student cover

What do customers say about our home insurance?

Average rating:
Based on
5 star ratings
4 star ratings
3 star ratings
2 star ratings
1 star ratings

Our customers’ reviews, independently moderated and managed by feefo. Based on 0 total reviews.