What is a dance teacher?

Perhaps you find joy in preparing a happy couple for their first dance, or you love spending time with those trying to find a fun way to get fit.

A dance teacher uses their expertise to teach and train their students in different styles of dance. You incorporate elements of technique, performance, and choreography in your work, and may focus on many styles or just the one.

Most dance teachers have some background in the sport, either from being a professional or performer themselves. Your job is to help bring out the best in your students and help them reach their full artistic ability.

What is business insurance for dance teachers?

Running a dance school takes a lot of energy, so you need business insurance that’s as nimble as you are. That’s why AXA keep business insurance as simple as possible.

Business insurance keeps your safe as well as your students and you can be covered online in not time - meaning you can get back to work without missing a beat.

Do I need insurance as a dance instructor?

Accidents are unavoidable, they can happen to anyone. If something should go wrong with your business, it’s best to be prepared. 

For example, what would happen if a student falls and slips on a freshly mopped floor, or a break-in leads to the theft of your sound system and equipment? There’s going to be consequences, and they could put your business at financial risk.

Without business insurance, you could suffer from:

  • Financial loss thanks to any claims
  • Cancelled lessons due to damaged equipment
  • Loss of customers
  • Damaged reputation

    It’s best to avoid any consequences by investing in business insurance from the start.

    Do dance teachers need public liability insurance?

    Public liability is the main cover that dance teachers should consider since you’re dealing with the public. If someone slips on a wet danceroom floor or gets hurt using a piece of your equipment it could end up disastrous for the aspiring dancer, and for your business. Getting public liability insurance is the best way you can be protected in case something like this happens. 

    Do self-employed and freelance dance teachers need insurance?

    Yes, self-employed, and freelance dance teachers should consider insurance covers in the same way as full-time business owners. You won’t need any different insurance simply because you’re self-employed, either.

    Is insurance a legal requirement for dance teachers?

    Business insurance only becomes a leal requirement once you start to take on employees. At that point you are legally required under the Employers’ Liability Act 1969 to have employer’s liability insurance.

    While it’s not a legal requirement to have business insurance, it’s worth investing in. If your lessons and classes are being taught out of a public building, such as a council owned property for example, you may be contractually obligated to have insurance, so it’s worth checking these requirements with your local authority in those cases.

    Business insurance will give you a safeguard against a variety of claims made against your business. With AXA you can choose the covers that best suit the needs of your business and the level of cover that’s right for you.

    Why choose AXA’s dance teacher insurance?

    Zumba instructor, ballroom dancer or studio owner with a school full of baby ballerinas? You won’t find a business that has the exact same needs as you. And if your company is unique, your insurance should be too.

    Instead of buying a packet that’s full of bits you don’t need, AXA give you the option to select the options you need – creating your own bespoke package.

    How much does AXA’s dance insurance cost?

    How much you pay for cover very much depends on your business and the covers you choose. Since no two businesses are the same, your price won’t be the same as someone else’s.

    The cost of your policy will depend on several factors, such as what your business does, the size of your business and what you do.

    The quickest and easiest way to find out what your policy is likely to cost is to get a quote. You can do this online – and you’ll get 10%* off.

    Ready to get started?


    What insurance do dance teachers need?

    Choose from the cover options below to create the insurance that’s right for you.

    Public liability insurance

    Protects your company against claims to cover damages and legal costs that people could make against your business.

    Find out more about public liability insurance

    Employers’ liability insurance

    Got senior dancers helping other dancers? Technically, they’re volunteers – who fall into the same category as staff. This insurance is a legal requirement for anyone with employees.

    Find out more about employers liability insurance

    What type of dance businesses do we cover?

    There are many distinct types of dance businesses, from 1 on 1 tuition, to dance teams, dance studios and dance schools. We cover self-employed dance teachers who tutor single students or teams, and dance schools that focus on larger groups and competitive teams. To find out if your business would be covered, get a quote, or contact us to find out.

    Do I need different insurance for different types of dancing?

    No, the type of insurance you need shouldn’t change depending on the dances you teach. This is because different types of dances don’t generally carry greater risk of causing resulting in an accident. With all dance styles you will still be catering to members of the public.

    Our customers say...

    Average rating:
    Based on
    5 star ratings
    4 star ratings
    3 star ratings
    2 star ratings
    1 star ratings

    Our customers’ reviews, independently moderated and managed by feefo. Based on 0 total reviews.



    *This discount is applied automatically and lasts for the lifetime of your policy.