As a cake maker, you craft the show‑stopping centrepiece that lights up any party.

You pour your heart and soul into your creations. From birthdays to anniversaries, weddings to retirement dos, you add a personal touch to each cake you bake – no matter the occasion.

That’s why it’s important to preserve your business, in case of times of trouble.

And that’s where AXA’s business insurance for cake bakers and decorators can help you.

Do I need cake makers and decorator’s insurance?

Business isn’t always a cake-walk. Frosting custom cupcakes from your kitchen, selling wholesale bakes to cafes, or whipping up wedding cakes to order – whatever you’re baking, your business will need some level of protection.

What if a customer takes an allergic reaction? A staff member burns themselves on an oven, or trips when they’re at work? Working from home or out of a dedicated bakehouse, you’ll need some form of insurance to protect your equipment, fixtures and fittings.

AXA’s public liability cover protects in case of injury to a third party, whilst employers’ liability insurance supports you if a staff member is injured as a result of doing their job.

Our simple-to-sort business cover means you can get protection in minutes, meaning the only thing you need to keep a close eye on is the oven timer.

Why do cake makers and decorators need public liability insurance?

You might not think a cake-making business comes with risks, but like any other company – you stand in danger of accidents that have the potential to challenge your business and livelihood. That’s why it’s important to be insured.

What if a cake that you’ve made causes a reaction to a client with an intolerance or allergy ? Or they suffer an accident when they come along to pick up their order through a trip or a fall? You could be considered liable for any injury caused, and if you didn’t have insurance – you’d have to pick up the bill for any legal fees or compensation costs out of your own pocket.

Public liability would help you foot these fees – meaning you’d be able to carry on with business if the worst were to happen.

Why do cake makers and decorators need public liability insurance?

Is public liability insurance a legal requirement for cake making businesses?

No. Unlike employers’ liability insurance (which is a legal requirement if you have any staff, volunteers or apprentices working for you), public liability is not an essential legal requirement.

Do I need public liability insurance if I run my baking business from home?

If you’re running your home baking business from your own kitchen, you might feel like you don’t need public liability insurance. But if customers are visiting you, or you’re visiting them to deliver, then you’re still interacting with the public – and run the risk of accidents or damage occurring.

Another thing to consider - your home insurance is likely not enough to protect your equipment and the work that you do. It’s best to check. You can choose our business contents cover to keep things like special mixers, decorating stands and other equipment insured in case of damage.

What if I have employees who work from home, contractors or temporary staff?

You can protect your employees against illness and injury with employers’ liability insurance. It’s a legal requirement if you have any staff – including contractors, apprentices or part-time staff.

AXA offer £10m protection to cover legal costs and compensation in case of injuries or illness caused to your employees as a result of working for you, as well as providing up to 50 days free cover for temporary staff. And, if you need to attend court, you’ll get up to £250 compensation a day.

Am I covered for deliveries?

If you deliver to customers, we can help you protect your vehicle – and your products – on the road. Whether you use a van or a car to get around, we offer flexible and fast public liability insurance that can cover you in case of injuries/accidents when you’re delivering goods. And with our goods in transit cover (an add-on cover that you can buy with your contents insurance), we will protect your bakes in case of damage or loss on the way to customers.

What if I rent my property? Is covered for damage?

If you own a cake shop or stall, you can protect your workspace, equipment, shopfront and stock against damage with AXA’s contents insurance. Find out more about the cover we offer on our shop insurance page.

How much does cake makers and decorator’s insurance cost?

No business is exactly the same, and neither is the cost of of their insurance. The quickest way to find out your price? Get a quote. It’ll take a few minutes. Just tell us a little bit about your business, what you do and how you do it – and we’ll give you a tailored quote that takes into account all the cover that you need to protect your work properly.

Does cake maker insurance cover events?

Whether it’s a wedding, a village bake sale or a fete that you’re selling your cakes – with public liability insurance, you’ll be able to work on-site at events and be protected against third-party injury and damage caused by you or your creations.


What insurance do cake makers and decorators need?

Choose from the options below and craft the perfect cover for your cake company.

Public liability insurance

Covers damages and legal costs that people may make against your business.

Find out more about public liability insurance

Employers’ liability insurance

Protection for your staff, if they’re injured or become ill as a result of working for your business.

Find out more about employers liability insurance

Our customers say...

Average rating:
Based on
5 star ratings
4 star ratings
3 star ratings
2 star ratings
1 star ratings

Our customers’ reviews, independently moderated and managed by feefo. Based on 0 total reviews.