Do I need home insurance?

Ask yourself: do you want your home to be protected in the event of flood, fire, theft or other accidental damage? Or would you rather deal with the expense and the stress on your own? Add to that the fact that some mortgage providers might require you to have buildings cover. It’s more than a minor detail.

We’ll cover your house and belongings against life’s unexpected events. We offer buildings insurance and contents insurance – plus a range of added extras to make sure you get the protection you need.

Home insurance cover to suit you

Whether it’s theft, damage by extreme weather, fire, burst pipes and other losses - we offer two main types of cover:

Icon of a house on fire

Buildings insurance

This protects you against damage and loss to your building (including outbuildings, exterior and interior walls, roofs and flooring, amongst other things). With AXA, you’ll get:

  • Guaranteed repairs4
  • Up to £2m property owners liability cover
  • Cover for major risks including flooding, fire, burst pipes
  • Cover for alternative accommodation
  • Cover for replacement keys and locks

All of this plus much more. See our full policy documents for more details.

Find out more about AXA home
Icon washing machine

Contents insurance

This protects you against loss, damage or theft of your belongings. It’ll cover things like your sofa, TV and valuables. With AXA, you’ll get:

  • Guaranteed repairs4
  • Up to £2m occupiers and public liability cover
  • New for old replacements
  • Cover for alternative accommodation
  • Cover for business equipment
  • Cover for garden contents including plants
  • Cover for digital assets

All of this plus much more. See our full policy documents for more details.

Find out more about AXA contents insurance

Optional extras

Our optional extras mean you don’t have to pay for things you don’t need. But if you do need them, we’re here for you. These include:

Our HomeSure and HomeSafe policies include some of these as standard. See our full policy documents for more details.

Find out more about AXA home insurance optional extras

What do I need to get a home insurance quote?

Keep your details handy. These will include details of your property – from type, number of bedrooms and who lives there, in addition to details about you.

What's covered by AXA home insurance?

We’ll help take care of your home at every stage of your life.

Choose from our HomeSafe, HomeSure or HomeSmart policies. Whatever you choose, feel at peace knowing that you’ve got protection against major risks like fire, flood, theft, escape of water and subsidence.

With plenty of extra benefits included, we’ll give you the cover that gives you peace of mind.

Here’s a breakdown of what our combined home insurance covers:

Cover item HomeSafe HomeSure HomeSmart
Buildings Unlimited £1,000,000 £500,000
Contents £100,000 £85,000 £75,000
Guaranteed repairs Included Included Included
Accidental damage for buildings Included Included Optional
Accidental damage for contents Included Optional Optional
Alternative accommodation £100,000 £50,000 £50,000
Personal possessions £2,5005 Optional Optional
Emergency cash advance Included Included Included
Replacement keys and locks £1,000 £1,000 £500
Legal expenses £100,000 Optional - up to £50,000 Optional - up to £50,000
Home emergency cover £1,500 Optional - up to £1,000 Optional - up to £1,000
Get a quote Get a quote for AXA home insurance
Get a quote for AXA home insurance
Get a quote for AXA home insurance

Protect your home against accidental damage

Did you know that accidental damage makes up more than 1 in 3 AXA home insurance claims?

Accidental damage cover comes as standard with our HomeSafe policy and is available as an optional extra for our HomeSure and HomeSmart policies.

If you're an existing customer you can add it to your policy in your online account.

What extra insurance do I need?

Choose from our range of additional extras to create the cover that fits your home.

Home assistance

Got a blocked drain, burst pipe or broken boiler – but no time to fix them in an emergency?

With our home emergency helpline, we’ll arrange for an authorised contractor to fix it as soon as possible. Plus, it’ll cover you for up to £1,000 (£1,500 with HomeSafe) per claim for call-outs, work and parts required.

Accidental damage

Bad things happen to good people. Maybe your window’s broken, you’ve cut through an electric cable or drilled through a pipe. Whatever’s happened, our accidental damage cover offers you extra protection. And while it won’t stop accidents, it’ll stop them from being so expensive to fix.

It comes as standard on buildings with HomeSure – and covers your buildings and contents on HomeSafe. If you think you might need it, you can add it to HomeSmart too.

Even if you win the case, legal fees can be very expensive. Get up to £50,000 of legal cover with HomeSmart and HomeSure (you’ll get £100,000 with HomeSafe), access to a free 24-hour legal helpline and discounts on services like conveyancing. You’ll get this as standard with HomeSafe but can also add legal expenses cover to HomeSmart and HomeSure insurance.

Personal possessions

Extend your home contents insurance to anywhere in the world – we can offer up to £30,000 personal possessions protection. So that even when your belongings are far from home, you know they’re safe as houses.

Student cover

Have your kids flown the nest? Make sure their possessions are safe when they’re staying away at boarding school, college or university – we offer up to £5,000 of cover per student.

Bicycle cover

Main mode of transport or trips with the kids – however you use your bike, we can help you to keep it safe. You’ll get up to £1,500 cover for each bicycle and £3,000 in total.

What do customers say about our home insurance?

Average rating:
Based on
5 star ratings
4 star ratings
3 star ratings
2 star ratings
1 star ratings

Our customers’ reviews, independently moderated and managed by feefo. Based on 0 total reviews.



Policy details

Take a closer look at everything that's included with AXA home insurance by reviewing our sample policy documents.

Landlord insurance

Renting out your property? With AXA landlord insurance, we make protecting your residential property investment simple.


1 'Best Home Insurance Provider' at the Personal Finance Awards 2021/22 and the What Mortgage Awards 2021

2 Subject to a valid claim. Excess applies. Repair or cash may be offered. Terms and conditions apply.

3 Subject to a valid claim. Payment deducted from final claim settlement. Terms and conditions apply.

4 Three years for building repairs. One year for contents repairs.

5 With increased protection to £30,000 available as cover option