What's covered with our buildings insurance?

Content item HomeSafe HomeSure HomeSmart
Maximum sum insured Unlimited £1,000,000 £500,000
Repairs guaranteed (3 years) Included Included Included
Accidental damage (buildings) Included Included Optional
Alternative accommodation £100,000 £50,000 £50,000
Replacement keys and locks £1,000 £1,000 £500
Home emergency cover £1,500 Optional up to £1,000 Optional up to £1,000
Trace and access Included Included Included
Architects fees and debris removal Included Included Included
Emergency access (buildings) Included Included Included
Emergency access (garden) Included Included Included
Moving home (contracting purchaser) Unlimited Up to Buildings Cover maximum limit Up to Buildings Cover maximum limit
Property owners liability £2,000,000 £2,000,000 £2,000,000
Legal expenses £100,000 Optional up to £50,000 Optional up to £50,000
Maximum unocupancy 60 days 60 days 30 days
Get a quote Get a quote for AXA buildings insurance
Get a quote for AXA buildings insurance
Get a quote for AXA buildings insurance

Buildings insurance frequently asked questions

What is buildings insurance?

Buildings insurance is just one of two home insurance options available to homeowners.

Your buildings insurance will cover, well, your building. But it’s helpful to think about what that means when you’re deciding if you need it or not. You could think of it as the building itself, as well as it’s fixtures and fittings, so it’s particularly useful for homeowners as your mortgage lender might ask you to have it in place before you buy a property. But do bear in mind; it won’t cover the contents within your building - for that you'll need contents insurance.

AXA’s buildings insurance will cover damage to your building. It’s useful because it protects your home from a wide range of unforeseen events like storms, floods, fires, and theft. Typically, it also provides cover for your outbuildings, exterior & interior walls, fencing, roofs, and flooring, amongst other things. If you choose AXA’s HomeSure or HomeSafe insurance, you’ll also get cover for accidental damage included as standard. But not all policies cover your building against accidental damage, including AXA’s HomeSmart cover, so it’s always a good idea to check your policy to make sure it includes the cover level you need. Accidental damage makes up over one in three of our claims. That’s pretty high. So it might be worth considering.

Why choose AXA's buildings insurance?

Your house is more than bricks and mortar. It’s a home. It’s your home. We get that. So whatever your needs might be our three flexible home insurance policies will fit your stage of life. So whether you chose HomeSmart, HomeSafe, or HomeSure you can rest easy knowing your building is covered against the unexpected. You can simply modify our products to your specific needs by adding extras, like accidental damage, if you want them. That way, you’ll only pay for what you need, and nothing more.

How much buildings insurance do I need?

The amount of buildings insurance you’re likely to need will depend on the amount you’d need to rebuild your home from scratch – for example in the event of total destruction by a fire or flood. This is usually lower than the market value of the property.

If you’re unsure how much this would be, you can always ask a surveyor to estimate this for you. You can contact one through the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.

Will I need to add some extras?

It’s always good to check what’s included when you get your quote because some of our optional extras are included in our HomeSure and HomeSafe policies.

But if you do feel like you’re missing some cover that you’re likely to need you can add it as an extra when you’re getting your quote, or by logging in to your AXA online account.

With AXA's buildings insurance, there are three optional extras you can choose from:


Accidental damage

Will protect your buildings against those whoops moments, like accidental damage to your walls, ceilings, fixed glass and doors. This comes as standard with HomeSure and HomeSafe policies.

Find out more about AXA accidental damage cover
legal services

Legal expenses

Provide your family with access to expert legal assistance up to the value of £50,000, and a Legal helpline. This comes as standard with HomeSafe, with a higher limit of £100,000.

Find out more about AXA legal expenses cover

Home assistance

Broken boilers, burst pipes and blocked drains can be a costly inconvenience. With home assistance, you can call our home emergency helpline at any time of the day and we'll provide cover for a contractor from our approved repairer network to resolve the issue as soon as possible. Call out, works and parts up to a total of £1,000 are covered.

Home emergency cover can be added to HomeSmart and HomeSure. It’s included as standard with HomeSafe, with a higher limit of £1,500 per claim for call out, labour, parts and materials.

Find out more about AXA home assistance

What do customers say about our home insurance?

Average rating:
Based on
5 star ratings
4 star ratings
3 star ratings
2 star ratings
1 star ratings

Our customers’ reviews, independently moderated and managed by feefo. Based on 0 total reviews.



1 10% of our customers paid this or less between 1 February and 30 April 2022.

2 5 Star Rating given by Defaqto for 2021 to AXA HomeSafe and AXA HomeSure