What do translators and interpreters do?

Being able to communicate across language barriers is a vital skill that can connect people across the world. Translators and interpreters are vital to this process, and though they do a similar job, there are subtle differences between the two professions.

Translators focus on the written word, translating it from one language into its desired language. Interpreters, on the other hand, focus on translating orally, from one language into another, while a person is speaking.

Do translators need insurance?

Business insurance is important for both translators and interpreters. In your line of work, your main point of contact is often other people. You’ll be taking the words of others and working with them to make themselves understood.

So, the main covers to consider would be professional indemnity insurance to protect you from any claims that might arise if a client suffers a loss of income due to a mistranslation. Also, employers’ liability insurance if you have anyone else working with you, or business equipment insurance to protect your vital equipment.

What type of insurance do translators and interpreters need?

There are various types of insurance that translators and interpreters need. For example;

What is professional indemnity insurance for translators and interpreters?

As a translator or interpreter, making sure people are understood around the world is your job. However, everyone can make a mistake and a slight mistranslation can lead to a loss for your clients.

That’s where professional indemnity insurance comes in, to protect your from any claims made against you by client show have suffered financial loss due to the work you’ve done or the advice you’ve provided.

How much is business insurance for translators and interpreters?

Depending on the covers you choose as part of your policy, your price will vary. Every business insurance policy is slightly different, depending on;

  • Covers and level of covers chosen
  • Number of employees
  • Location of business
  • Risk level

Is interpreters’ insurance the same as translator insurance?

Interpreters and translators both require the same types of insurance for the most part. While these occupations deal with spoken and written word respectively, they both require the same covers to keep their business protected. These include;

  • Professional indemnity insurance
  • Business equipment insurance
  • Employers’ liability insurance

Our customers say...

Average rating:
Based on
5 star ratings
4 star ratings
3 star ratings
2 star ratings
1 star ratings

Our customers’ reviews, independently moderated and managed by feefo. Based on 0 total reviews.



*The guidance is provided on behalf of AXA by Arc Legal Assistance Ltd who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.