Business insurance for the self-employed

When you’re self-employed, we know it’s great to have the freedom to work how, when and where you want. But we also know that in business, everything doesn’t always go according to plan.

And because you work for yourself, it’s you that’s responsible if something goes wrong in your job – even though you might not technically think of yourself as a business owner.

So whether you’re just starting up or you’ve been self-employed for a number of years, make sure you’re properly protected with self-employed insurance from AXA.

Self-employed insurance FAQs

Do you need business insurance when you’re self-employed?

Across the UK, more and more people are becoming self-employed. Yet while self-employment continues to boom, many are leaving themselves open to risk by running their business without basic protection.

For example, while 83 per cent of self-employed tradesmen have public liability insurance, only 35 per cent of professionals have professional indemnity insurance*, meaning they’d have to bear the brunt of any insurance claims on their own.

But if you’re self-employed and have business insurance in place, you wouldn’t have to worry – because you’d be covered for the legal fees required to defend you plus any compensation you need to pay.

So if you want the protection and peace of mind to get on with your job, you really do need business insurance, no matter whether you think of yourself as a business owner, a sole trader, or simply self-employed.

How much will your self-employed insurance cost?

Because all self-employed people are different, and because you can tailor your cover to suit your needs with AXA, the cost of insurance is different for every business.

But to give you an idea of what you could expect to pay, here’s what 10% of our business insurance customers paid for their insurance:

  • Public liability insurance from £60 a year1
  • Employers’ liability insurance from £44 a year2
  • Professional indemnity insurance from £46 a year3

With a 10% discount when you buy online, it’s a small price to pay for the protection you need – and the peace of mind you want.

Want to talk?

Whether you've got a general enquiry about business insurance or something more urgent, our team are waiting to help.

AXA Business Insurance

The type of business insurance you need will depend on the type of business you have, the type of work you do and where you work from.

That’s why with AXA Business Insurance, you can tailor your cover to suit your needs. So when you get a self-employed insurance quote, you’ll be able to choose from the following:


What insurance does a self-employed person need?

Public liability insurance

While you do your best to get everything right in business, accidents can – and do – happen. And that’s why most self-employed businesses like yours take out public liability insurance.

Public liability covers your legal liability against accidental injury or property damage claims made against you by third parties.

Simply put, that means if customers, clients or members of the public make a claim against you because they’ve been injured as a result of your work or you’ve accidentally damaged their property, we’ve got your covered.

Find out more about public liability insurance

Employers' liability insurance

If your self-employed business grows and you decide to take on employees – including full and part time staff, freelancers, labourers, contractors or volunteers – you’re legally required to take out employers’ liability insurance.

Because no matter how safe you think you are, workplace injuries can happen when you least expect them. And if an employee gets injured or becomes ill while working for you, they may try to claim compensation from you.

With AXA, you’ll get £10 million employers’ liability cover as standard, ensuring your business – and your people – are properly protected.

Find out more about employers' liability insurance

Professional indemnity insurance

If you provide advice or a service to clients, they could make a claim against you if they think you’ve made a mistake or given them bad advice that’s cost them money.

And without the proper protection in place, the costs could soon stack up. But with professional indemnity insurance in place, we’ll cover the legal fees required to defend you in court, plus any compensation you need to pay to settle your claim.

Find out more about professional indemnity

Optional extras

Whether you’re a tradesman or a professional, you may be able to select a number of optional extras when you choose public liability, employers’ liability or professional indemnity insurance, including:

  • Tools, plant and equipment cover for tradesmen
  • Business equipment cover for professionals
  • Personal accident cover – capital and/or weekly benefits
  • Breach of confidentiality cover
  • Infringement of copyright cover

*Survey of 320 tradesmen and 330 self-employed professionals conducted by AXA Business Insurance in January and February 2016

1 10% of our customers paid this or less for public liability insurance between January and March 2019.

2 10% of our customers paid this or less for employers' liability insurance between January and March 2019.

3 10% of our customers paid this or less for professional indemnity insurance between January and March 2019.

Lines are open Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm; and Saturday, 9am to 2pm. Calls may be recorded and monitored. Terms conditions, eligibility and exclusions apply.