Are your children about to fly the nest? Whether it’s college, university of boarding school, the time has come for them to leave the family home and spread their wings.

It’s an exciting time for any parent, but you’ll no doubt have a lot of questions and worries. You might be wondering whether your home insurance covers your children while they’re away at university.

At AXA, we understand the importance of keeping families safe – even when they’re not at home. To help, we’ve answered some of the most frequently asked questions about home insurance student cover.

Does my home insurance cover students?

This depends on what kind of cover you have. Typically, your standard contents insurance will not cover children in temporary student accommodation. However, you can add student cover as a home insurance extra.

What’s covered by home insurance student cover?

This home insurance add-on is a great option for families with members studying away from home such as people who attend college, university, and boarding schools. Student cover will protect your children’s property against damage from:

  • Theft
  • Collision
  • Storm or flood
  • Falling trees
  • Fire, explosion, lightning or earthquake
  • Malicious acts

AXA will cover up to £5,000 of damages per student for each claim.

What’s not covered by home insurance student cover?

While student cover is a great asset to have, it doesn’t include:

  • Cover outside of the United Kingdom, the Isle of Man, or the Channel Islands
  • Loss or damage from a caravan, mobile home or motor home
  • Business equipment
  • Excess
  • Accidental damage, unless you also have personal possessions cover

Plus, this cover doesn’t include any damage or loss outside of specified student accommodation. If you want to cover your children’s property when they’re out and about or in class, you’ll want to look at our personal possessions insurance too, for full protection and peace of mind.

Is home insurance student cover worthwhile?

Students often rent accommodation while studying. This means they don’t have much say in the security of the building. Student cover will give you the peace of mind you need while your children are staying away from home. So, you’ll be able to take some care of them every day – even if you’re not physically there.