EPC for landlords: what you need to know

For landlords, understanding your energy responsibilities starts with EPC.

Landlord Advice

29 March 2017

The Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is a key part of landlords’ energy efficiency obligations.

However, it’s more than just a legally required document: it acts as a measure of the quality of your property and can be a big selling point for tenants. So it's never been more important to know your EPCs.

What is an EPC?

An EPC shows how energy efficient a property is by giving it a rating from A (very efficient) to G (inefficient). The certificate also outlines the home's energy costs and offers practical recommendations on how to improve the rating.

When do I need an EPC?

UK law requires all homeowners to order an EPC whenever a home is built, sold or rented. There are exceptions, for example for listed or temporary buildings, but most landlords must produce one EPC for each self-contained property.

All adverts offering a property for rent must include the EPC rating, and tenants must be provided with a free copy of the EPC as soon as possible. In Scotland, the certificate must be displayed in the home.

How do I get an EPC?

EPCs are produced by certified assessors after they've evaluated your property. The following official websites include lists of approved assessors:

EPCs cost between £60 and £120, so it's worth getting several quotes. Once your certificate has been issued, it will be registered in a public database (unless you opt out). The EPC is valid for ten years.

What happens if I don't have an EPC?

Failing to provide an EPC when required can result in a £200 fine per dwelling, and penalties for renting out unfit properties can be as much as £5,000 under the new minimum energy efficiency standards law, discussed below.

New energy efficiency rules

From 1 April 2018, all properties must have an EPC rating of E or above before they can be rented out. Landlords can apply to their local council for an exemption to the new rules, from 1 October 2016, if they can prove that improvements to reach the minimum standard wouldn’t be cost-effective, permitted or appropriate. And as of 1 April 2016, tenants who request to make reasonable energy efficiency renovations can't be refused. 

For more information about your responsibilities, view our complete checklist for landlords. Looking for more information about insurance? With AXA landlord insurance, we make protecting property simple.